Monday, October 5, 2009

A Prayer for Pumpkin People

A PRAYER FOR PUMPKIN PEOPLE

The month of October has rolled around and I am beginning to see pumpkins all over the place. In fact, pumpkins will be delivered to Rockport later this month. I was thinking about how we could make October a special month for those of us who claim to be disciples of Jesus Christ?



I suggest that while we are busy helping our children work with the pumpkins they will be carving into jack-o-lanterns we teach and pray this prayer:


  • While cutting off the top of the pumpkin, pray, "Lord open my mind so I can learn new things about you." (proverbs 1:7)

  • While removing the seeds and pulp, pray, "Remove the things in my life that don't please you. Forgive the wrong things I do and help me to forgive others." (Matthew 6:14-15)

  • While making eyes, pray, "Open my eyes to see the beauty you've made in the world around me." (Psalm 104:24)


  • While making the nose, pray, "I'm sorry for the times I've turned up my nose at your many gifts." (James 1:17)


  • While making the mouth, pray, "Let everything I say please you." (Psalm 19:14)


  • While lighting the candle, pray, "Lord, help me to show your light to others through the things I do." (Matthew 5:16)

After carving your pumpkins with the ones you love, display them as examples of how God's love transforms us into new creations for the transformation of the world. Read 2 Corinthians 5:17.

Peace,

Rev. Dr. Gordon Myers

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I LOVE this! It is a great way to focus our prayers to better ourselves and become more Christ-like. I like it's simplicity, but depth of covering our whole life.