Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Expectations

This time of the year often brings high expectations, and expectations have the potential to make us blind to what God is doing in our midst. I know from experience that high or wrong expectations can rob us of many wonderful experiences and insights.
I became aware of this many years ago as I was leading a congregation in evaluating their worship style. I found myself along with others entering the sanctuary on Sunday mornings with certain expectations, and when they were not met, I left with a feeling of disappointment. Over a period of time, I began to hear the disappointment grow into criticism. It was important to teach those I was leading to ask a critical question that is directly tied to our spiritual maturity and growth:

"Does the fact that our expectations were not met mean that God didn't show up?"

The answer is certainly "Of course not!" It simply meant that we couldn't see the wonderful ways God was at work because we were so focused on our expectation and my frustrations because they were not being met.

It was decided by the group I was leading that they would consciously enter the sanctuary every Sunday with expectancy instead of expectations. What was learned was by this group of individuals was that not everything happens during worship is according to my preferences, by when we come with a spirit of expectancy it opens us to experience God's presence in incredible ways.

So during this Advent season, let us enter into God's sanctuary at Rockport standing on our spiritual tiptoes with expectancy - eagerly waiting - creating space for God's blessing, blessings that are just looking for a place to unexpectedly land in our presence. Expectancy creates that kind of space!

Peace,

Rev. Dr. Gordon Myers

No comments: