Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Proportionate Giving

We are now entering into our season of stewardship at Rockport United Methodist Church.

Stewardship almost always brings anxiety to people. I ran across a short article that I am sure many of you have read before. The article stated that there are three kinds of giving and givers:

1. Grudge Giving - which says, "I guess I have to give to God."
2. Duty Giving - which says, "I guess I ought to give to God."
3. Thanksgiving - which says, "I want to give to God."

Do you know what is so important about your giving to support God's work at Rockport UMC? When our giving comes from a thankful heart, it opens the gate that moves us into the love of God.

As we consider our giving level for 2010, I pray that we would practice Proportionate Giving. Some might ask, "What is proportionate giving?" It is the type of giving that makes provision for Christ's work first, regardless of other claims that may be made upon our personal budget during the year.

On the other hand, when we wait until the need at church presents itself and then we decide if we are going to reach into our pockets to see if we support the program or whether we can spare the extra money from our resources, we put the work of Christ at Rockport second on our list.

Remember what Matthew 6:33 says to us: "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and God's righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you."

As we enter this season of stewardship reflection, let us put God first in our lives and first in our giving.

Peace,

Rev. Dr. Gordon Myers

No comments: